Are you and your partner struggling with:
- Feeling disconnected from each other
- Decreased frequency and/or interest in sex
- Fear that your partner has already “checked out” of the relationship
- Feelings of desperation
- Worry that you are making things worse
- Difficulty seeing a future for the relationship
- Ambivalent feels about the relationship
- Ambivalent feelings about couples counseling
- Unsure if you want to continue in the relationship
- Struggling to decide what’s best
If so, discernment counseling may be for you. Unlike traditional couples counseling, discernment counseling uses specific techniques for each person to determine where they are emotionally in the relationship. Your therapist works with you to come to a consensus on if you should stay and work on your relationship or end it. The goal is to gain the clarity needed to judge your marital options and move beyond feeling “stuck.”
When one person wants to stay and work on the relationship (the “leaning in” spouse), and the other is not sure or feels like nothing can help (the “leaning out” spouse)–discernment counseling is the best course of action. With this model, the counselor provides a supportive and safe environment to thoughtfully and objectively consider all options ahead.
What you can expect:
- Safe, non-judgemental environment to examine the history of the relationship and the breakdowns that have evolved to bring you to this point.
- Careful evaluation of each path forward.
- Guidance and support through the next phase, whichever path you choose.
Pathways of Discernment Counseling
- Stay the same: Accept the status quo and decide what you want to do later.
- Reconcile: Commit to 6 months of intensive couples therapy to renew the relationship.
- Divorce: Mutually determine that divorce is the right option and learn how to do that in the most constructive way.
Noyau therapists have been specially trained to meet you where you are in this process and to work with you towards a better future. We look forward to helping you navigate a more fulfilling life. Give us a call at 214-706-0619 or 817-.